Saturday, December 11, 2010

How I got started with the family Genealogy

I wish I started researching my family tree before my father died in 1982 so I could have gotten some serious answers out of him. My son Michael did ask him for a family tree, after his Grandfather he made up the rest. Lucky I do remember some stories he told me while I was growing up as did my mother about her side of the family. My parents both came to New York in 1929 from Scotland, so I have no relations nearby to as ask, but later starting in 1997 my wife and I began making trips to Scotland to see my cousins on my mother’s side and my mother’s brother Uncle Peter did tell me a lot of family stories if I could only remember them. It is important to get as much information from the older members of the family as possible, they may not think their stories are important, but everyone has a story to tell and future generations would like to read about where they came from.

No comments:

Post a Comment