Monday, December 30, 2019

Scottish Parish Relief


While looking at the hints for my maternal Grandmother Janet Wilkes on Ancestry.com I noticed that she filed for Parish Relief in Combusnethan Wishaw Scotland in 1908. Which was a year before my mother was born in 1909. Now I already knew that both my Grandfathers had left my Grandmothers. So, the Relief forms both confirmed what I already knew adding the date and that it was shortly after they were married.
 I also found a similar hint for my paternal Grandmother Ann Wallace also in Combusnethan Wishaw Scotland. I had already on Ancestry.com the Ship's manifest from 1913 Showing that Ann Wallace return to Scotland with her three children including my father but no husband Hugh Boyle in November of 1913. I learned from the Relief that she left Boston with the understanding my Grandfather Hugh Boyle would follow in December of 1913. She had not heard a word from him as of April 1914 so filed for relief. She was living with her brother James Wallace with her three children. It also says the my Grandfather was in England so I think he took a ship from Boston to Liverpool instead of Glasgow like my Grandmother Ann Wallace had done. He decided for some reason to stay in Liverpool maybe he got a job there as a Boilermaker which was his trade.
I think one of the reasons my parents met and got along so well is their similar stories. My parents were married for 50 years before my father died in 1982.

No comments:

Post a Comment