Thursday, January 2, 2020

The Life of Ann Wallace. By her Grandson Richard Boyle


I didn’t know either of my Grandmothers as they lived on the other side of the pond. I pieced together the story of Ann Wallace from what my father told me about his mother plus from sources I got from Ancestry.com and Scotlandspeople.gov.uk. I think I got most of the highlights correct. 
Ann Wallace born on the 21st if March in the year 1879 the ninth child of Twelve Children to Mary McTeiney and James Wallace in the small village of Carluke in Lanarkshire in the country of Scotland. She lived with her family having fun playing with her brothers and sisters. The family moved to Combusnethan Wishaw where she went to school.
After school she went to work in a factory that made nails making money to help support the Wallace family. One Sunday her day off she met and fell in love with Hugh Boyle my Grandfather. They started a relationship right there in Wishaw Scotland with my Grandfather working as a Boiler maker which I figure must have been in nearby Glasgow maybe in the shipyards.
What with love blooming at the dawn of a new century Hugh decided to go to Boston in America figuring that it being a port so must have jobs for Boiler makers. So, in 1901 Hugh traveled to Boston and a year later sent for Ann who arrived in Boston in April of 1902 and they were married on the 8th day of October 1902 in Boston Massachusetts.  
My Dad said that the family moved around a lot he even remembers moving to Utica NY and since my Aunt Mary Angus Boyle was born in Providence RI on the 24th of April in the year 1904, we know they moved to there around 1904. The family must have moved back to Boston after that for my Dad was born in Boston on the 24th day of January in the year 1906 and My Aunt Sarah Veronica Boyle was also born in Boston on the 4th day of April in the year 1912. So they were on the road a lot while they were in America it must have been hard on Ann Wallace and she must have been getting feed up with my Grandfather Hugh.
A person posing for a photo

Description automatically generated

3 comments:

  1. This is truly amazing how well you have been able to track back and find so many photos. Everytime I think about Fred I google his name and because of you so many memories pop out at me I remember all those xmas at your house! I remember someone's graduation we went upstate NY maybe near bethel I think Dorothy was teaching me how to ride horses. I use to try to ride the dog like a horse at your house tho. I think about yall alot actually you kenny adele dorothy, I miss fred so much most of the time I don't have anything of his to remember him by except your photos. I saw on ancestry xmas 1992 my grandmother was in the photo I remember kenny locking me in the futon and playing nintendo hahahahah. After the house I grew up in on the island shirley 104 alcolade drive east was the address 516 399-3382 was our phone number its crazy how remember it like yesterday me and Fred would mow the grass every weekend then go play golf or go fishing. He loved budweisers and kents and his pocket watch with the chain. I really still can't believe he's gone the house is gone everything is gone but one thing I still have is your photos an my memories. Btw I have know idea if anyone remembers me but I remember all of you. This is Jorge & Fred raised me as his only son.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could really see the photos but I dont have the paid account so they wont let me I can only see the small version an I zoom in even tho its super blurry I remember the moments or the photos them self so I can picture it clearly in my head. It's hard for my wife or daughter to see tho since they weren't there.

    ReplyDelete